Perfect fun holiday pound cake that the whole family will love. Enjoy!!
Keto/ Paleo Lemon Pound Cake with Blue Coconut Cream Frosting.
Serves 10 to 12
5 eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar-free crystal sweetener monk fruit, erythritol or xylitol (150g)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter (120 ml)
2 cups almond flour (220 g)
1/4 cup coconut flour (35 g)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup lemon juice (60 ml)
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest – optional
1 can of coconut cream (left in fridge to harden)
1 scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder
1 tsp of powder blue Spirulina
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Spray cooking oil in a loaf pan 9 inches x 5.
2) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar free crystal sweetener, melted coconut oil (or butter) and lemon juice. Make sure that your coconut oil is not burning hot or it will ‘cook’ the eggs and create lumps.
3) In a different large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder. Stir to evenly combine the flours.
4) Pour the liquid ingredients onto the dry ingredients.
5) Stir all the ingredients together with a baking spoon until it forms a consistent cake batter with no lumps. Combine for at least 2 minutes to make sure the coconut flour fiber absorb the moisture.
6) Transfer the cake batter onto the loaf pan. Make sure you are using the same loaf pan size or it will impact your baking time.
7) Place the loaf pan in the center of your oven and bake. Keep baking for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pound cake comes out with little to no crumbs on it.
8) Cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan, then lift out the pound cake from the pan using the parchment paper.
9) Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. It is a thick cake and it usually takes 3 hours to fully cool.
10) Frosting: using a can opener, open the coconut cream that has been left in the fridge over night. Pour out the liquid in the sink. Scoop out the remaining coconut cream and put it into a mixing bowl. Add the protein powder and spirulina. Using a fork mix throughly until everything is combined well and there’s no clumps. Top your pound cake with the frosting! Enjoy!