Can’t pass down some pie during the holidays. Here’s a healthy paleo pie that will make the belly and soul happy. Gluten / Dairy / Soy Free!!
Prep Time: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Lakanto Monk fruit Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 8 Tbsp Ghee cold, cut into chunk or Unsalted Grass-Fed Butter (cold, cut into tablespoons)
- 1 cup Lakanto Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Monkfruit Sugar
- ¼ cup Ghee or Grass-Fed Butter cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp Flaxmeal
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk full-fat canned
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Pecans roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips divided
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, gelatin, sea salt and coconut sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine everything evenly.
- Add the egg yolk and ghee/butter to the bowl and cut in with a pastry blender or the back of a fork. Continue until the mixture is crumbly and easily presses together in your hands.
- Dump the crust mixture into a pie dish or tart pan. Press the mixture evenly across the bottom and up the sides.
- Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the filling.
Pie Filling Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add the coconut sugar and ghee/butter to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, add the maple syrup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the temperature reaches 225°F (reduce by 2 degrees for every 1,000 feet in altitude).
- When the syrup reaches the right temperature, remove from heat and pour over the ghee and coconut sugar in the bowl and let site for a few minutes to melt the ghee and dissolve the sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the flaxmeal, coconut milk, and vanilla to the bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Slowly pour the eggs into the syrup mixture, whisking continually. The mixture is hot and you don’t want scrambled eggs.
- Finally, add the pecans and ½ of the chocolate chips. Mix evenly.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and pour the filling into the crust. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. Garnish with a few pecan halves, if desired.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 20-30 minutes, or until center is set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.