Paleo German Chocolate Bars
Paleo German Chocolate Bars!!
These were a great hit. Little more time consuming recipe, but worth every minute.
Keto / Paleo / Vegan
2 to 3 hrs
• 1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup
• 1/4 cup lakanto monk fruit sugar
• 3/4 cup canned coconut cream (the thick part on top of the coconut milk)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 1.5 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
• 2 cups almond flour
• 1 tablespoons coconut flour
• 1/3 cup sunflower butter
• 1/3 cup sugar free maple syrup
1) Make the caramel sauce. This can be done ahead of time and stored in the fridge. In a small sauce pan, combine maple syrup, monk fruit sugar, coconut cream, and salt.
2) Heat over medium heat until just boiling, turn to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir continuously to prevent burning.
3) Remove from heat and add coconut oil and whisk to combine. This may take some whisking to fully incorporated it. Pour the caramel into a bowl and let cool at room temperature.
4) While the caramel is cooling, toast the coconut. Preheat the oven to 350° and spread coconut evenly on a sheet tray. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. This is important to ensure it does not burn.
5) Keep the oven on to bake the shortbread.
6) Once the caramel has cooled (you can even make the shortbread while you wait), add in the toasted coconut and stir until it is evenly mixed.
1)Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
2) In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, sunflower butter, maple syrup. Mix until well combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until sides are slightly brown. Let cool before topping with caramel layer.
3) Once crust has cooled, top with the caramel/coconut mixture and spread it as evenly as possible. Place in the fridge to set for 1-2 hours.
1) Place 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring between each one, until they are fully melted. Pour and spread the melted chocolate on top of the bars and refrigerate for another 1 to 2 hrs.
2) When the bars have harden cut the bars into 16 squares and enjoy!!