Healthy Hearty Sourdough Bread
Sourdough bread that is yeast, diary, and gluten free… oh yes it’s possible.
This is an amazing hearty bread that will fuel the heart.
If you don’t have certain flours it is simple to substitute one for the other.
45 to 50 Minutes
8 hrs 50 mins
12 to 15 slices
- 1 cup of sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup filtered water, room temperature – or a bit less if your starter is more liquid
The Rest of Ingredients To Form The Loaf:
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 cup flax seeds – ground
- 1 tbsp maple syrup – optional
- 1.5 cup filtered water – or plant milk
- Once the starter is active (is bubbling regularly within a few hours of feeding) take the amount of starter you need (1 cup). The rest of the jar place in the fridge covered with a cheese cloth and a rubber band. Now you can proceed to step 2, and add the rest of ingredients.
Step 1: Combing the starter with white rice flour.
- Take the amount of starter you need, the rest feed it and place it back in the fridge.
- To that add 1/2 cup white rice flour, and 1/2 cup of filtered water. If your starter is thin and watery, use less water (about 1/3 cup). Let it sit in a warm (not hot) place for 3-4 hours until is light and bubbly. During winter it might take even 5 hours.
Step 2: Form the vegan gluten free sourdough loaf
- To the active starter add the rest of ingredients: the flours (sifted), water, salt and maple syrup (it’s optional, but I use to enhance the taste plus the sugar makes the bread rise faster).
- Mix to combine. The dough should look like a thick batter or like a brownie batter. No kneading is required.
- Prepare the baking bread pan and spray it with cooking spray to avoid anything from sticking.
- Scrape the dough into the pan and smooth it out with a spatula to produce a nice dome shape. Add seeds or nuts on top if you want.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or a towel to seal moisture (you can also spray the inside of the wrap with water to prevent dough cracking) and let it rise in a warm place approximately 4-5 hours. It depends on how warm is your kitchen.
Step 3: Bake The Bread
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees F (220 C).
- Once ready to bake the bread, remove the wrap, cover with an aluminium foil (without touching it), turn the temperature down to 390 F (200 C) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then remove the foil bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before handling or slicing (use a serrated knife)! (Best to do that the next day). The slices can be stored in a closed container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.